About Our Tax Practice
Fenwick & West has achieved a reputation as having one of the nation's leading domestic and international tax practices. The tax group's exciting and sophisticated practice stems from its client base. Our tax clients represent every geographic area of the United States, as well as a number of countries across the globe, and have included over 100 Fortune 500 companies.
- 20+ tax lawyers with a broad range of corporate, partnership, and international tax experience: represented well over 50 Fortune 100 companies in major federal tax matters, and 100 of the Fortune 500 companies.
- Extensive experience in international tax planning, M&A and joint ventures.
- Represented corporate clients in over 75 United States tax court cases.
- Broad and deep transfer pricing practice, covering APAs, competent authority and dispute resolution.
- Worked on over $150B in M&A and joint venture activity in the past 12 months.
- Nationally recognized for successful tax dispute resolution and litigation: successfully resolved over 150 IRS administrative appeals proceedings.
- Recently won tax victories for CBS and Sanofi in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and Analog Devices in the U.S. Tax Court. Currently represent other large multinational corporations in the U.S. Tax Court.
Honors & Awards
- Named "Tax Firm of the Year for the San Francisco Area" by International Tax Review nine times in the past 12 years.
- Awarded first tier status as one of the "World’s Leading Tax Planning Firms" and as one of the "World’s Leading Transactional Firms" by International Tax Review.
- Awarded first tier status every year by World Tax.
- Named "Americas M&A Tax Firm of the Year" by International Tax Review, also won a number of ITR Tax Deal of the Year awards.
- Ten Fenwick tax partners appear in Euromoney’s widely-respected "World’s Leading Tax Advisors.”
- Honored four times as the "U.S. Tax Court Firm of the Year" or “America’s Tax Litigation Firm of the Year” for tax litigation and controversy matters by International Tax Review.
- Recognized among the leading tax practices nationally and in California by Chambers USA.
- Eight Fenwick tax partners appear in International Tax Review’s “World’s Tax Controversy Leaders.”
- Five Fenwick tax partners appears in Euromoney’s “World’s Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers.”