About Our Mergers & Acquisitions Practice
Fenwick & West is one of the premier mergers and acquisitions practices in the nation, recently ranked by Bloomberg as one of the Top 10 M&A legal advisors in the U.S., as Technology M&A Law Firm of the Year for the third straight year at the M&A Atlas Awards, and as Technology Law Firm of the Year for the fifth straight year by Law360. We are particularly adept at transactions involving technology and life sciences companies, including complex divestitures, cross-border transactions and matters in which intellectual property and/or key engineering talent are the most critical assets.
Our M&A group provides customized transaction services to meet each client's unique business needs, communications preferences and technology infrastructure requirements. We have an extensive group of experienced attorneys available for deals of any size and complexity. Our team includes attorneys specializing in technology transactions, patents and IP litigation. In addition, our attorneys have a broad range of expertise in domestic and international tax structuring.
In recent years, the firm has completed more than $500 billion worth of transactions, including executing significant acquisition programs for leading serial acquirers. Representative experience includes:
- Cisco Systems in its $6.9B acquisition of Scientific-Atlanta, its $5B acquisition of NDS Group, its $3.2B tender offer for WebEx Communications, its $2.9B acquisition of Starent Networks, its $2.7B acquisition of Sourcefire, and over 110 other transactions for Cisco Systems
- Facebook in its $2B acquisition of Oculus VR, its $1B acquisition of Instagram, and over 60 other transactions for Facebook
- WhatsApp in its $19B acquisition by Facebook – one of the largest private technology acquisitions ever
- VeriSign in its $21B acquisition of Network Solutions – one of the largest Internet deals ever – and more than 25 other VeriSign acquisitions
- Symantec in its $13.5B acquisition of VERITAS – one of the largest software mergers ever – and more than 40 other Symantec acquisitions
- Counsel to Data Domain in the bidding war between NetApp and EMC, leading to Data Domain's $2.4 acquisition by EMC
- Counsel in many of the most important strategic cross-border mergers including King Digital Entertainment in its $5.9B acquisition by Activision Blizzard, Spreadtrum Communications in its $1.78B take private acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup, and counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Giant Interactive Group in its $3B take-private acquisition by Giant Investment and Giant Merger Limited
- Counsel in many of the most important strategic mergers of software companies, including: Concur Technologies in its $8.3B acquisition by SAP, SuccessFactors in its $3.4B acquisition by SAP, Macromedia in its $3.4B merger with Adobe Systems, VERITAS in its $3.4B acquisition of Seagate Software, Opsware in its $1.6B acquisition by Hewlett-Packard, MySQL in its $1B acquisition by Sun Microsystems and Intuit in its $1.35B acquisition of Digital Insight
- Counsel for key recent life sciences industry mergers – including Cepheid in its $4B acquisition by Danaher, Agilent Technologies in its $1.5B acquisition of Varian, Ocular Sciences’ $1.2B acquisition by The Cooper Companies, and SonoSite in its $995M acquisition by Fujifilm