- Repeatedly recognized as a Washington Super Lawyer, including being honored as one of the “Top 100” Washington Super Lawyers
- Named as one of “Seattle’s 87 Top Business Lawyers” by Seattle Business Monthly (2008)
- Recognized as one of Seattle’s “40 Under 40” by Puget Sound Business Journal (2006)
With over 25 years of complex commercial litigation experience—both as a law firm lawyer and as in-house litigation counsel at Amazon—Brian has represented companies of all sizes, across a wide variety of industries, helping them avoid, defend, prosecute, and resolve high-stakes complex commercial litigation, including intellectual property disputes, trademark and copyright litigation, consumer class actions, securities and corporate governance litigation, internal investigations, and trade secret and non-compete matters. Brian is also a trial lawyer and has tried cases to judges and juries in federal and state courts across the country, as well as handling complex arbitration hearings.
Prior to rejoining Fenwick, Brian was Associate General Counsel, Litigation & Regulatory at Amazon. In that role, Brian managed a diverse portfolio of active litigation, including all manner of commercial disputes, privacy and data-breach claims, class actions and complex arbitrations, intellectual property litigation, and First Amendment and media claims. He also handled a wide range of regulatory matters at the federal, state, and local levels. In addition, Brian provided risk-mitigation counseling and support to all of Amazon’s diverse businesses and subsidiaries. Brian’s unique blend of law firm and in-house experience allows him to provide crisp, practical advice to help corporate clients at the highest levels make informed business decisions about smart risk.
Throughout his career, Brian has devoted substantial time to pro bono work, focusing on issues affecting women, children, and the poor. Brian currently serves on the board of The Campaign for Equal Justice, Washington state’s primary funds drive for civil legal aid, and on the board of Legal Voice, which pursues justice and equal access for women and LGBTQ people. While at Amazon, Brian helped create legal clinic programs for Mary’s Place, a first-of-its-kind family shelter located within Amazon’s headquarters. In 2013, Brian received the Washington State Bar Association’s Annual Pro Bono Award for his significant contributions to the legal profession, the justice system, and the public interest.
- BMG v. Cox Communications (E.D. Va.): Defended Cox Communications through a two-week jury trial seeking to hold Cox liable for vicarious and contributory copyright infringement.
- Media Partners v. O’Reilly Auto Parts (W.D. Wash.): Lead counsel defending O’Reilly in copyright infringement action.
- Country Classic v. Darigold, Inc. (D. Mont.): Lead counsel defending Darigold, Inc. in trademark action filed by Darigold licensee.
- Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc. v. Able Engineering (W.D. Wash.): Defended helicopter repair facilities in trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuit. Case dismissed on summary judgment.
Securities/Corporate Governance Litigation
- In re Concur Technologies, Inc. Shareholder Litigation (D. Del.): Defended public company in shareholder litigation attempting to block proposed $8.3 billion acquisition of Concur by SAP.
- Weinstein v. Oncothyreon Inc., et al. (W.D. Wash.): Lead counsel defending public company in putative shareholder derivative litigation. Case dismissed with prejudice on initial motion.
- Telker v. Keynote Systems, Inc. (Cal. Sup. Court, San Mateo County): Defended public company in in shareholder litigation attempting to block proposed $395 million acquisition of Keynote by Thoma Bravo.
- In re SonoSite, Inc. Shareholder Litigation (Wash. Sup. Court, King County): Lead counsel defending public company in shareholder litigation attempting to block proposed $1 billion acquisition of SonoSite by Fujifilm.
- In re Trubion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Shareholder Litigation (Wash. Sup. Court, King County): Lead counsel defending public company in shareholder litigation attempting to block proposed acquisition by Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.
- In re ZymoGenetics, Inc. Shareholder Litigation (Wash. Sup. Court, King County): Defended public company in shareholder litigation attempting to block proposed acquisition by Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- In re F5 Networks, Inc. Derivative Litigation (W.D. Wash.): Lead counsel defending public company in consolidated shareholder derivative actions related to alleged options “backdating.”
- Phillips v. MOD Systems, Inc. (Wash. Sup. Court, King County): Lead counsel defending digital media company in securities and related disputes with former founder/CEO.
Consumer Class Actions
- Huricks v. Shopkick (N.D. Cal): Lead counsel defending mobile app company in class action under federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- In re Jiffy Lube Text Litigation (S.D. Cal.): Lead counsel defending party in consolidated nationwide class actions brought pursuant to federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- GES v. Intuit (W.D. Wash.): Defended Intuit in a consumer class action pursuant to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Washington state consumer protection laws.
Pro Bono Work
- Jafar v. Webb (Wash. Supreme Court): Lead pro bono counsel in Washington Supreme Court appeal establishing that indigent litigants are entitled to a waiver of all court fees and charges, helping to ensure equal access to justice in Washington state.
Education & Admissions
J.D., University of Washington School of Law
Order of the Coif
B.A., summa cum laude, English and psychology
Admitted to practice in Washington